On Sunday, Texas Governor Greg Abbott ripped into Joe Biden’s El Paso visit, saying Biden saw a “sanitized” version of the border crisis.
Speaking with Maria Bartiromo on Fox News, Abbott said, “Biden is there today to look at a santized El Paso so that he can do all he can to help and aid the illegal immigrants as opposed to stopping them from coming into our country.”
President Biden’s border visit today is to a sanitized version of El Paso.
He has no plans to enforce federal immigration laws.
Biden’s plan will only entice MORE illegal crossings.
Texas will continue our historic border mission to protect our state. pic.twitter.com/UelZRg0Zts
— Greg Abbott (@GregAbbott_TX) January 8, 2023
Abbott has been outspoken in his criticism of Biden and his administration’s handling of the border crisis. He noted how, prior to Biden’s visit, El Paso officials had actively removed migrant camps along where the President would be observing.
The Border Patrol Union (NBPC) leaned into the controversy surrounding Biden’s visit saying, “El Paso being cleaned up as if nothing unusual ever happened there. Just in time for Biden’s ‘visit to the border.’ We suggest just landing in De Moines, Iowa and telling him it’s El Paso. He’ll never know the difference.”
El Paso being cleaned up as if nothing unusual ever happened there. Just in time for Biden’s “visit to the border”.
We suggest just landing in Des Moines, Iowa and telling him it’s El Paso. He’ll never know the difference.
— Border Patrol Union – NBPC (@BPUnion) January 6, 2023
Upon meeting Biden Abbott hand-delivered a letter to the former Vice President, expressing how he views the President’s handling of the ongoing border crisis.
The letter said, This chaos is the direct result of your failure to enforce the immigration laws that Congress enacted,” reads the letter. “Your open-border policies have emboldened the cartels, who grow wealthy by trafficking deadly fentanyl and even human beings. Texans are paying an especially high price for your failure, sometimes with their very lives, as local leaders from your own party will tell you if given the chance. On behalf of all Americans, I implore you: Secure our border by enforcing Congress’s immigration laws.
The letter continued with a list of actions taken in light of “the federal government’s inaction.”
The list included:
- Securing $4 billion in funding for Texas’ border security efforts
- Launching Operation Lone Star and deploying thousands of Texas National Guard soldiers and Texas Department of Public Safety troopers
- Taking aggressive action to aid border communities, including busing thousands of migrants to Washington, D.C., New York City, Chicago, and Philadelphia
- Designating Mexican drug cartels as terrorist organizations to keep Texans safe amid the growing national fentanyl crisis
- Arresting and jailing criminals trespassing or committing other state crimes along the southern border
- Issuing an executive order authorizing the Texas National Guard and Texas Department of Public Safety to return illegal immigrants to the border at ports of entry
- Allocating resources to acquire 1,700 unused steel panels to build the border wall in Texas
- Signing a law to make it easier to prosecute smugglers bringing people into Texas
- Signing 15 laws cracking down on human trafficking in Texas
- Signing a law enhancing penalties for the manufacturing and distribution of fentanyl
- Issuing a disaster declaration for the border crisis
- Issuing an executive order preventing non-governmental entities from transporting illegal immigrants
- Signing memoranda of understanding between the State of Texas and the States of Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo León, and Tamaulipas to enhance border security measures in their states that will prevent illegal immigration from Mexico to Texas
- Activating the Joint Border Security Operations Center (JBSOC) and directing the Texas Department of Public Safety, Texas Military Department, and Texas Division of Emergency Management to coordinate Texas’ response to secure the border